background

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bailey Gets It

It isn't an easy thing to understand sometimes when a child hears their parent say they feel lucky when they are talking about a medical condition they have.
I have said for a very long time that I feel very lucky because I have 5 children & Bailey's seizures are the only medical issue I deal with.
Her seizures are VERY mild compared to what a lot of people deal with.
They are focalized seizures.
She doesn't fall down & jerk like what most people think of when they hear the word seizure.

Bailey just didn't get what I was saying.
In her mind & her world this is so devastating.
She is different than her peers.
So it is horrible to her.
I always knew she thought I was crazy.

But she gets it.

Bailey has had the opportunity to hear other children's stories with this visit to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital.
This has been so good for her.
And me.
And my mother.
We are not only understanding more about the other side of this illness,
But we are appreciating our blessings also.

We have met one couple that has a son that started having seizures before his first birthday.
He is behind on his development.
He has behaviour issues.
He is on a medication that is needed that makes him do things like chew on furniture.
He goes into status often.
When they go into status you have to give them a medication that is basically a sedative that knocks them out & take them straight to the hospital.
This little boy is so cute but deals with a very hard illness.

Then there is another little girl that has seizures that deals with them almost daily.
A simple sound that you hear everyday - a door opening - can set one off.
She is eleven years old & only weighs 50 lbs.
She is very behind on her development.
Doesn't talk much if really at all.
Her father asked Bailey how the seizures felt.
He can't even ask his eleven year old that question
And appreciated being able to ask Bailey this question.

So Bailey is getting it.
She feels lucky.
She feels blessed.
She still doesn't like it.
But she gets it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are sharing these things - and writing on here while you guys were in the hospital. I just got off the phone with mom and I'm very glad to hear the good news. I love you all very much.

    ReplyDelete